NVRR Fell Championship
At the start of the year, the Fell Championship coordinator will select a minimum of 10 fell races largely from the calendar of the Fell Runners Association (who administer fell running for UK Athletics) or British Open Fell Runners Association (BOFRA), at which members can score points. The races should range in both distance from short (~6k) to long (~24k) and severity. They will vary year to year, aiming for a balance of familiarity and exploration. The minimum number of scores required to place in the league is one and the maximum five. Qualification is automatic, participants do not have to enter all championship
Should a race be cancelled that in the opinion of the Fell Coordinator would distort the results of the Championship then a substitute race shall be added.
Club members are reminded that they must wear club colours whilst competing in a Championship event.
Please note that members are free to run with a dog where race rules allow, however to avoid any perceived advantage they will be award the lowest score attained for their gender in the race (minimum 20 points) for both the main league and age-adjusted.
Fell Scoring System
In the event of possible interpretations of the rules, the interpretation that gives the highest score shall be used.
Scores shall be awarded as follows:
- The fastest male member shall score 50 points, second 49, third 48 and so on, likewise the fastest female member shall score 50 points etc.
- Times will be based on gun times (not chip times) in line with UK Athletic guidelines
- The maximum score possible over 5 races is 250 points
- The minimum score for a member completing a race shall be 20 points, irrespective of the number of competitors
- For each trophy, the person’s highest scoring 5 races will be totalled to decide the overall winners. The maximum total possible score will be deemed to be 250 points from your best scoring 5 races
|Senior Male Champion (male < 50)||Senior Female Champion (female <45))|
|Vet Male Champion (male 50+)||Vet Female Champion (female 45+)|
|Male Age-adjusted Handicap Champion*||Female Age-adjusted Handicap Champion*|
- Age-related categories- Age at 1st January will be used to determine which age category competitors fall into. i.e. for 2018 champs age as at 1st January 2018 will determine which age category competitors fall into. Also age as at 1st January will determine the age-adjusted factors used in calculating age-adjusted handicap times and scores.
- In the event of a tie for an award then the head to head results of the tied members for all Fell Championship Events shall be considered and the member who beat the other most times shall be given the award. Should the head to head results be equal then the award shall be shared.
- The winners of all main Fell prizes will also be eligible for a Gold, Silver or Bronze award dependant on achieving the required qualifying position.
Fell Age-adjusted Handicap Awards
- Winners of any other fell champs age category award are not eligible for the fell age-adjusted award
- In the age-adjusted trophy, each runner will be awarded points from 50 downwards on performance by reference to data derived from the World Athletics Veterans Association
- The winner will be the qualifying runner with the highest age-adjusted score from their best 5 races
Fell Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards
- Gold, Silver and Bronze awards will be given to members who have completed a minimum of 5 events and placed in the Fell Championship league table as follows: –
- A gold award will be awarded to the top third of male and female qualifiers (rounded up)
- A silver will be awarded to the middle third of male and female qualifiers (rounded up)
- A bronze will be awarded to the bottom third of male and female qualifiers
So, for example, if 11 women qualified, the top 4 in the league would receive gold, the next 4 silver and the bottom 3 bronze awards.